Welcome to a special re-run of a previous but once again very relevant edition of Never Mind The Bar Charts. It’s from June 2019, which feels a long time ago now but the calendar says that was only 12 months ago. It was the time of the party’s last leadership election, and I did an interview with Tim Farron about his experience as party leader. We focused on his advice for the next party leader as well as tips on what members should ask in hustings meetings.
Both Tim’s advice and tips are still very relevant, so here is that episode again. And do also take a listen to the episode I did recently with Tim Bale, where we also cooked up great hustings questions.
Hope you enjoy the repeat:
- Jonathan Calder’s David Steel versus John Pardoe categorisation for Liberal Democrat leadership contests.
- Paperclip design.
- Vince Cable’s Stalin to Mr Bean moment at Prime Minister’s Questions.
- The Lib Dems did indeed, as Tim Farron mentioned, once hit 4% in the polls after the 2015 election.
- Tim Farron’s response to the European referendum result.
- You can watch the first Davey-Swinson hustings from the 2019 contest here. Here is Stephen Bush in the New Statesman on those hustings.
- Information about the 2020 leadership contest, including hustings where you can ask the questions mentioned in the show, is on the party website.
- This podcast is now on Podbean. All should have gone smoothly but do let me know if you spot any gremlins.
Enjoy the show? Spread the word
Get new episodes by email
Sign up to get an email alert each time a new episode comes out: