Get the opinion poll database
Using the opinion poll database
You are very welcome to use the data from my political opinion polls database, and indeed one of the reasons I maintain it are the regular stories which appear making use of it.
I only ask two things in return – that if you spot any errors or omissions you let me know and that you credit the source of the data (including, if you make use of it online, a link back to this page). Thank you.
I also blog on the subject of political opinion polling. You can read my opinion poll posts here.
Get email notifications
I update the spreadsheet once a quarter, both adding in the new national voting intention polls from the last quarter and also improving the older data, such as filling in gaps and making some of the columns clearer.
Sign up here if you would like an email notification when the database is updated or when there’s a new story about political polling on one of a carefully curated range of high quality sites (no more than one email a day and usually much less frequent):
Background to the opinion poll database
For years I have been accumulating data about national voting intention opinion polls in the UK and have records of various sorts stretching back to 1943. I had previously held off sharing them as the data is not in a perfect state. However, given that perfection never arrives, back in 2011 I decided to stop holding off and make the data available in case other people also find it useful.
Many people have helped over the years with this data answering all sorts of questions from me. Particular thanks for providing an exceptionally large number of answers go to William Jennings (who has generously shared the data he has been compiling), Roger Mortimore, Anthony Wells and the staff of Swiss Cottage public library.
Opinion poll database version history
In addition to the usual addition of the latest three months of data and occasional minor additions or corrections, the following more notable changes have also been made in previous updates:
2 April 2016
- Extra fieldwork dates for late campaign polls in 1950, 1959, 1966, 1970 and 1974.
- An extra Forensic Statistics poll from 1959, an extra NOP poll from 1987 and an extra ASL poll from 1992.
- Several internal Conservative Party polls from 1983, conducted by Harris and Gallup.
- Various extra details about the MORI polls in the 1979-83 Parliament and addition of information about the 1983 exit polls.
- The underlying national vote share projections from the 2015 exit poll as well as a missing SurveyMonkey poll from the same year.
- Several of these updates are courtesy of the 2015 general election polling post-mortem and particular thanks to Will Jennings on that score.
31 December 2015
- A correction to one of the final 1945 polls (thank you Will Jennings).
- Minor updates to polls from the 1970-74 Parliament, such as the newspaper they were published in.
- An extra ORC poll from October 1974 along with an exit poll from that election too.
- An Opinium poll referred to by The Observer from the summer but not previously published by it (thank you James Crouch).
1 October 2015
- 100 extra ORC polls, 41 extra Harris polls and 4 extra MORI polls from the 1960s and 1970s, for some of which only the Labour/Conservative lead is known.
- Several extra polls in full from the 1974-79 Parliament along with other updates to publisher, fieldwork dates etc.
4 July 2015
- Includes additional polls and corrections for the 1950s especially, in large part courtesy of Stephen Fisher who has kindly shared his research with me.
2 May 2015
- Special pre-election update. Includes some small additional data for the 2005-2010 Parliament too.
1 April 2015
- Backfilled small number of missing one-off polls from earlier quarters. Also standardised layout of different sheets in spreadsheet, correct many small inconsistencies. (Thank you to James Reade for pointing out many of them.)
1 April 2014
- Extra and corrected data for 1945.
31 March 2013
- Added in some missing ICM Wisdom Index polls. (Thank you to Lev Eakins for spotting the extra data.)
- Started new tab for European election specific polls.
- Added in some back figures for UKIP.
- Added in extra NOP polls over several decades. (Thank you to Will Jennings and colleagues for sharing their data.)
30 December 2012
- Added some Gallup data for 1951-55 Parliament.
31 March 2012
- Missing TNS-BMRB data for 2010 Parliament added. (Thank you to Nick Howat.)
- Missing Opinium data for May 2010 – March 2012 added. (Thank you to Adam Drummond.)
31 December 2011
- First public version of spreadsheet uploaded, containing polls up to the end of 2011.