For years I have been accumulating data about national voting intention opinion polls in the UK and have records of various sorts stretching back to 1943. I had previously held off sharing them as the data is not in a perfect state. However, given that perfection never arrives, I have decided to stop holding off and make the data available in case other people also find it useful.
I intend to update the spreadsheet once a quarter, both adding in the new polls in the interim and also improving the older data, such as filling in gaps and making some of the columns clearer.
Many people have helped over the years with this data answering all sorts of questions from me. Particular thanks for providing an exceptionally large number of answers go to William Jennings (who has generously shared the data he has been compiling), Roger Mortimore, Anthony Wells and the staff of Swiss Cottage public library.
You are very welcome to use this data. I only ask two things in return – that if you spot any errors or omissions you let me know and that you credit the source of the data (including, if you make use of it online, a link back to this page). Thank you.
Get notified about opinion poll spreadsheet updates
If you would like to receive an email notification when the spreadsheet is updated, sign up here.
Download opinion poll spreadsheet
(I also blog on the subject of political opinion polling. You can read my opinion poll posts here.)
In addition to the usual addition of the latest three months of data, and occasional minor additions, the following changes have also been made in previous updates:
31 March 2013
- Added in some missing ICM Wisdom Index polls. (Thank you to Lev Eakins for spotting the extra data.)
- Started new tab for European election specific polls.
- Added in some back figures for UKIP.
- Added in extra NOP polls over several decades. (Thank you to Will Jennings and colleagues for sharing their data.)
30 December 2012
- Added some Gallup data for 1951-55 Parliament.
31 March 2012
- Missing TNS-BMRB data for 2010 Parliament added. (Thank you to Nick Howat.)
- Missing Opinium data for May 2010 – March 2012 added. (Thank you to Adam Drummond.)
31 December 2011
- First public version of spreadsheet uploaded, containing polls up to the end of 2011.