Here’s the list of Prospective Parliamentary Candidates (PPCs) selected by the Liberal Democrats for the next (post-2017) general election.
There are some recent selections missing from the list as they haven’t yet been made public, but do let me know about any errors or omissions. Thank you!
What is a Prospective Parliamentary Candidate (PPC)?
But before going on to the full list, a little explanation of the terminology. Way back, the law around election expenses made it very advantageous to avoid officially declaring someone to be your candidate until a few weeks out from polling day. Doing so delayed the point at which campaigning costs had to count against the fixed constituency election expense limit. The later the limit started, the more campaigning you could get in beforehand and then the more campaigning per day you could do during the controlled period as the limit had to stretch over fewer days of campaigning.
As a result, all parties took to using the phrase “Prospective Parliamentary Candidate” or PPC to describe the people they had selected who were going to become their candidate but had been selected sufficiently far in advance that they didn’t want to be called candidates yet. There was then usually an official adoption meeting much closer to the election at which the PPC would be adopted from a field of one and transformed into an official candidate.
These days, there is much less benefit from going through these legal hoops. That’s partly because the variation in time period which your constituency expense limit has to cover depending on when you start calling yourself a candidate has been greatly reduced. It’s also because there is now so much that can be legally excluded from constituency expense limits.
The PPC phrase, however, hangs on both out of habit and because in some very close contests it can still bring some value.
Liberal Democrat PPCs
- Bosworth: Michael Mullaney
- Bristol East: Nicholas Coombes
- Bristol South: Andrew Brown
- Bristol West (Stephen Williams’s former constituency): James Cox
- Cambridge (David Howarth and Julian Huppert’s former constituency): Rod Cantrill
- Cheltenham (Nigel Jones and Martin Horwood’s former constituency): Max Wilkinson
- Chippenham (Duncan Hames’s former constituency): Helen Belcher
- Derby North: Barry Holliday
- Edinburgh West: Christine Jardine MP
- Garston and Halewood: Alisha Lewis
- Gloucester: Rebecca Trimnell
- Harrogate & Knaresborough (Phil Willis’s former constituency): Judith Rogerson
- Hazel Grove (Andrew Stunell’s former constituency): Lisa Smart
- Hitchin and Harpenden: Sam Collins
- Houghton and Sunderland South: Paul Edgeworth
- Kenilworth & Southam: Richard Dickson
- Leeds North West (Greg Mulholland’s former constituency): Kamran Hussain
- Liverpool Riverside: Tom Sebire
- Liverpool Walton: Rob McAllister-Bell
- Liverpool Wavertree: Richard Kemp
- Liverpool West Derby: Paul Parr
- Loughborough: Ian Sharpe
- Maidenhead: Joshua Reynolds
- Mid Dorset & North Poole (Annette Brooke’s former constituency): Vikki Slade
- Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland: Jemma Joy
- Newcastle East: Tom Gordon
- Newton Abbot: Martin Wrigley
- North Devon (Nick Harvey’s former constituency): Kirsten Johnson
- North East Fife (Ming Campbell’s former constituency): Wendy Chamberlain
- Old Bexley and Sidcup: Simone Reynolds
- Peterborough: Beki Sellick
- Rushcliffe: Jason Billin
- St Albans: Daisy Cooper
- St Ives: former MP for the seat, Andrew George
- Sheffield Hallam (Richard Allan and Nick Clegg’s former constituency): Laura Gordon
- South East Cornwall (Colin Breed’s former constituency): Colin Martin
- Southport (Ronnie Fearn’s and John Pugh’s former constituency): John Wright
- South Shields: Anthony Sayer
- Stratford on Avon: Dominic Skinner
- Stroud: George Butcher
- Mid Sussex: Robert Eggleston
- Taunton Deane (Jackie Ballard and Jeremy Browne’s former constituency): Gideon Amos
- Tewkesbury: Alex Hegenbarth
- Torbay (Adrian Sanders’s former constituency): Lee Howgate
- Totnes: Caroline Voaden
- Tunbridge Wells: Ben Chapelard
- Warrington North: David Crowther
- Warrington South: Ryan Bate
- Wells: Tessa Munt (former MP for the constituency)
- Welwyn Hatfield: Barbara Gibson
- West Dorset: Edward Morello
- Weston-super-Mare (Brian Cotter’s former constituency): Patrick Keating
- Yeovil (Paddy Ashdown and David Laws’s former constituency): Mick Clark
All the above selections are subject to possible re-runs depending on the extent of Parliamentary boundary changes finally agreed. The list also excludes the special re-selections carried out for a time-limited period to cover the odds of a sudden early general election. Those special selections ‘expire’ later this year (2018).
Related candidate information
After a list of current Liberal Democrat MPs? That’s here.
Interested in becoming a candidate yourself? Take a look at this inside story.
Keep up with news about Lib Dem selections
If you’d like to be notified by email when further posts about Liberal Democrat selections appear on this blog, just sign up here. (Note: if you’re already signed up for a daily email alert with all my new blog posts, then there’s no need to sign up for these alerts too as the stories will also be in the full daily digest.)